Governance strategy | Education and Scientific Research
The Education and Scientific Research Network is coordinated by the Autonomous Province of Trento.
Listing the Dolomites as a World Heritage Site in June 2009 made investment in life-long education a priority for all the territories belonging to the Property. Within the UNESCO Dolomites Foundation’s networked management scheme, the Autonomous Province of Trento is responsible for the Education and Scientific Research Network. The Network takes its cue from the work of the technical coordination group made up of representatives from the Dolomite provinces and regions belonging to the UNESCO Property, with the Autonomous Province of Trento in charge of general coordination.
Basing themselves on the contents and method suggested by tsm|step_Area UNESCO, tasked by the Autonomous Province of Trento with coordinating the Network, the various provinces and regions draw up an annual shared educational programme which takes advantage of those involved in the territories in question and focuses on the institutional objective, namely to encourage individual and collective learning, a fundamental priority if the natural heritage of the Dolomites is to be successfully conserved and enhanced.
The educational activities and research projects are organised in conjunction with the individual provinces and may also be implemented through partnerships.
The educational activities and research projects are based on the following guidelines:
– encourage active participation of the business, organisations and people in the territories belonging to the UNESCO Property;
– promote a culture of governance of the UNESCO Property between administrators and public officials at different institutional levels;
– manage the territories of the UNESCO property with initiative and innovation;
– educate new generations both in schools and local settings;
– foster interdependence with other natural sites in Italy and abroad to develop training and educational partnerships to promote different cultures and innovative management styles of the natural heritages.
The objectives of the Network are based on the main purposes of UNESCO accreditation and the decisions regarding the governance and management of the natural World Heritage which are taken at local level. The activities are also tailored to the different needs of the territories belonging to the UNESCO Dolomites Property and are aimed at different targets, including professionals, administrators, public officials, businesses, those working in the tourism industry and for theenvironment, opinion leaders, voluntary associations and clubs, technical experts (engineers, architects, building surveyors, agronomists and other categories) and private citizens in general.
More specifically, the objectives are to:
– heighten awareness of the opportunities offered by UNESCO accreditation in local communities and the territories, in particular to
– come up with new economic and cultural initiatives and to boost those already existing;
– help implement the Overall Management Strategy of the UNESCO Dolomites Property and the relative responsibilities of the administrative authorities involved;
– analyse the demand for educational, training and refresher courses and decide on activities to support specific innovative and development projects whose objective is to enhance the heritage recognised by UNESCO;
– present the educational activities to young people, schools, administrators, businesses, cooperatives, associations and non-profit-making organisations to cultivate a culture and practices aimed at enhancing UNESCO World Heritage Sites;
– extend the educational and training activities to other natural UNESCO sites in Italy and Europe, in order to develop interdependence, a culture of enhancement and innovative practices.
Fabio Scalet – Provincia Autonoma di Trento
Lucia Fenti – Provincia di Belluno
Elisabeth Berger – Provincia Autonoma di Bolzano
Astrid Wiedenhofer – Provincia Autonoma di Bolzano
Giuliana Cristoforetti – Provincia Autonoma di Trento
Mirella Minto – Regione del Veneto
Andrea Guaran – Regione Autonoma Friuli Venezia Giulia
Annibale Salsa – Comitato Scientifico Fondazione Dolomiti UNESCO